Executive Director, Wesley Acres Retreat Centre and Campground
Start Date: Spring 2021
To create an safe, irresistible environment for campers to experience Jesus. As the Camp Director at Harbour Ridge, the primary purpose of this role is to provide oversight to programming, staff leadership and operations at Harbour Ridge. In the non-summer seasons this role will also support the ministry of Wesley Acres and Harbour Ridge as needed including, but not limited to, student and camper recruitment, promotions and recreational services. The Harbour Ridge Camp Director will work closely with Executive Director, Administrative Services Manager and all other staff at Wesley Acres.
• Summer program development
• Year-round promotion and connection with alumni and camper recruitments
• Non-Summer Recreation programming at Wesley Acres for retreat groups (directed programming, ie. high ropes and low ropes)
• Seasonal staff recruitment and management
Essential Summer Tasks
• Do everything possible to show campers the most amazing summer camp experience
• Communicate to all staff the importance of operating within the camp philosophies, rules, guidelines, and policies
• Assume overall responsibilities for the entire camp, staff and campers (planning, training, implementation)
• Be sensitive to the emotional and developmental needs of staff, and demonstrate a genuine interest in them
• Facilitate and oversee appropriate discipline amongst the campers and staff
• Ensure staff forms and payroll information is kept up to date
• Organize and oversee registration as needed
• Assist with phone calls as needed
• Complies with the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Policy by being aware of your responsibilities and working in the safest possible manner
• Maintains safe and clean facilities by developing, enforcing and complying with procedures, rules and regulations • Coordination of excellent delivery of recreational programming to groups and retreats
• Working in other departments as required for the smooth operation of Harbour Ridge Camps
• Facilitate the gathering of photos, stories for marketing videos to promote camp
Essential Year-Round Tasks
• Coordination of excellent delivery of recreational programming to groups and retreats
• Seasonal staff recruitment
o Produce a strategy each year for attracting and sourcing and resourcing staff
o Attending and sourcing opportunities to recruit
• Communication on behalf of Wesley Acres and its departments to staff recruitment for Harbour Ridge Camps
• Create and engage Harbour Ridge Alumni community, plan community building events, communication and support
• Manage within an approved budget and analyze the cost effectiveness of each camp
• Evaluate each camp and season as a whole - determine program popularity and assess the accomplishment of Harbour Ridge’s mission. This includes following up with campers and guardians through post-camp surveys
• Conduct mid-summer and post-summer evaluations of all staff with accountability to each job description
• Promoting Camp - marketing, videos, postcards, social media, brochure, newsletters
• Begin and maintain a working relationship with Prince Edward County and surrounding areas Church Children’s Ministry and Youth Pastors/Directors, recreational directors etc.
• Campers or Youth training, a necessity
• Preference will be given to candidates who have obtained Camp Ministry (BA, Camp Ministry)
• Management/Leadership Training
• Working with campers, youth, camp ministry, etc. • Leadership - planning, oversight of programming, etc. • High Ropes / Low Ropes certifications an asset (or willingness to get them)
• Interviewing potential teens and young adults for employment
• Mature in conduct • Professional in communication, conduct and appearance
• Comfortable navigating social media
• Proficient in using Google Suites, Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc. • Problem solver • Quick on feet, quick responding and handling crises • Successfully complete a criminal record check • A heart for discipling young people to be passionate followers of Jesus Christ • Agree to and sign Wesley Acres’ statement of faith (See Appendix A) • Be ready and willing to share the Gospel • Be 'coachable' and show an interest in personal development, learning and growth • Provide ongoing encouragement, support and training for other team members • Maintain an environment which is warm, welcoming and where everyone feels valued and respected • Responsible, enthusiastic and outgoing • Strong interpersonal skills • Assist in finding and applying for Government/Grant funding • Develop job descriptions, interview and train seasonal staff • Develop partnerships with other potential groups
General office environment and physical working conditions. High stress conditions are likely to exist during peak registration periods (ie. Summer Camp Season). Physical requirements of a camp director position will include: prolonged standing, bending, walking, hiking; requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate camper/activity programs and the ability to lift up to 20 lbs; willing to work in camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to sun, heat, bugs etc.
Working Conditions (hours, environment, etc.)
• Weekend work will be required, mostly during the months of July and August.
• All staff members are expected to share in the vision and ministry of Wesley Acres and Harbour Ridge Camp regardless of their role or position
• Some travel may be required from time to time during the non-summer months
About Harbour Ridge
Harbour Ridge Camp is a ministry of Wesley Acres Inc. Wesley Acres is located in Prince Edward County overlooking Sandbanks Provincial Park.
Wesley Acres, Inc. is an affiliate of the Free Methodist Church in Canada.
Wesley Acres Retreat Centre and
Wesley Acres Statement of Faith
● The Holy Scriptures, as originally given by God, are divinely inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy, and constitute the only supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
● There is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
● Our Lord Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh; we affirm His virgin birth, sinless humanity, divine miracles, vicarious and atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension, ongoing mediatorial work, and personal return in power and glory.
● The salvation of lost and sinful humanity is possible only through the merits of the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, received by faith and apart from works, and is characterized by regeneration by the Holy Spirit.
● The Holy Spirit enables believers to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ.
● The Church, the body of Christ, consists of all true believers.
● Ultimately God will judge the living and the dead, those who are saved until the resurrection of life, those who are lost until the resurrection of damnation.